WE WELCOME THE FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF RIDERS TO COME ALONG WITH THE RIDERS OF THE SALMON CYCLING CLASSIC.
THERE ARE PLENTY OF ENJOYABLE AND FUN THINGS FOR EVERYONE.
A Family Friendly Event for Everyone
We want the whole occasion of the Salmon Cycling Classic to be family friendly. Wilsonville prides itself on its family friendly events. Family and friends not riding in the Fondo can find PLENTY of GREAT THINGS TO DO while the riders are out on the ride. Here are some options:
The Fondo Start/Finish Line is in Memorial Park – a 70-acre park operated by the City of
Wilsonville. The family friendly opportunities there include:
- Acres and acres of room just to roam around in, play, and enjoy the beautiful sunshine,
- There are baseball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, and a sand volleyball court. There is a skateboard area, an “off-lease” dog park, a Frisbee Golf course, and several acres of wooded areas with trails. The whole park fronts the Willamette River and there is a nice floating dock to stretch out and work on that suntan!
- The north end of the park (Murase Plaza - near Wilsonville Road where you come in) has an interactive water feature, a large new play structure area, its own parking area, a historic barn and nut drying shed -- and more room and grass on which to just enjoy the day.
OTHER NEARBY PARKS
- The Korean War Memorial Park is an extremely well done symbol of respect to the men and women who served in that conflict and their efforts. Directly adjacent to the Memorial is Town Center Park that includes a small play structure and an interactive water feature, and a basketball court.
- If you care for exploring and history – Boones Ferry Park is the actual location where Alphonso Boone (yes- Daniel Boones’s actual grandson) started a ferry service back and forth over the Willamette River. It ran for some 107 years until the I-5 Bridge replaced it in 1954. When he started it in 1847, he hired the local Indians to paddle the ferry back and forth! Also in the park is the historic Tauchmann House – the home of the man who ran the ferry for many years before the ferry closed. This is also the location of a new bicycle-pedestrian bridge currently in the planning phase.
- Another area for exploring is Metro’s Graham Oaks Park – a 250-acre nature park. Enjoy the quiet savannah’s, the cool woodlands, the birds and all types of little creatures; and don’t forget the trails that take you all over the 250-acres! Parking, restrooms, and shaded sitting areas to watch the wildlife are all provided.
- For those so inclined – the Clackamas County Boat Launch is just across the I-5 Boone Bridge on the West side. Canoe, kayak, speedboat, water skiing – or just enjoying being near the water while those others are off sweating on their bicycles!
RESTAURANTS, SHOPPING CENTERS, & HOTELS
- Wilsonville has three major shopping centers. Town Center Shopping center is just across Wilsonville Road near Memorial Park; Argyle Square is in north Wilsonville; and Wilsonville Old Town Square is just on the west side of I-5. You’ll find Costco, Target, Rite Aid, Fred Meyers, and a host of other smaller stores.
- Wilsonville is blessed with a variety of restaurants for your pleasure. For fast food, you can enjoy, McDonald’s, two Burger Kings, Sonic, Taco Bell, Wendy’s, Carl Jr’s, a couple of Subway Shops, and five Starbuck’s. Some of the sit-down restaurants include: Oswego Grill, Red Robin, The Ram, New Hunan Kitchen, Black Bear Diner, Shari’s Café & Pies, Qdoba Foods, Canton Phoenix, Wong’s Chinese Restaurant, Dar Essalam, Abella Italian Kitchen, Noodles & Company, Boston’s Pub & Grill, McMenamin’s Old Church & Pub, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Gyro House Mediterranean Grill, Langdon’s Grill, The Beer Station, Wanker’s Corner Saloon and Café, San Blas Mexican Restaurant, and a number of other fine establishments too numerous to list.
- Wilsonville has a number of fine hotels for your convenience. These include many familiar name brands: Holiday Inn, LaQuinta, Best Western, Quality Inn, Motel 6, Guesthouse Inn & Suites, and Snooz Inn.
OTHER DON’T MISS PLACES
- Just across from Murase Plaza is the WILSONVILLE LIBRARY – take a just a few minutes to go in and look at what is considered to be the world’s largest “intarsia” (a large, elaborate bird’s eye picture of early Wilsonville formed using inlays of over 50 different kinds of wood). It’s beautiful!
- The FAMILY FUN CENTER is in the northwest corner of Town Center - It includes an Arcade and Bullwinkles Restaurant, along with miniature golf, batting cage, zip line, go carts, climbing wall, laser tag, bumper boats (with water squirters!), Kidopolis, Sky Trail, XD Dark Ride, and more.
- Adjacent to the west side of I-5 and north of Wilsonville Road is THE WORLD OF SPEED MOTOR SPORTS MUSEUM. A tremendous display of historic and vintage cars, motorcycles, etc. in a rotating display – WELL WORTH the stop and going in to look around!
OTHER RECREATiONAL OPTIONS
- Regal 9 Stadium Theaters – a beautiful theater complex with nine screens/just behind Fry’s Electronics.
- Wilsonville Lanes – an excellent option for those who are into bowling.